Tuesday 26 August 2014

Blog 40 - They Think It's All Over and It Is Now!

As I approached my 39th birthday, I did start feeling a bit old and suddenly very aware of the milestone that 40 is. After a tragedy last year when we lost a very special person from our family, life became very poignant. 'Life is short' suddenly became very real for me and I started thinking about all the things I don't do or make time for.

I wanted to honour Kevin's memory in some way and try to raise money for a charity that means and meant a lot to both of us. I also wanted to do something a little bit crazy and make it an unforgettable year and create a 'bucket list' for me as nobody knows what is around the corner. 

This all seemed like a great idea after a couple of drinks and the list of suggestions from friends for the final 40 list ranged from the extreme to bizarre to the downright ridiculous! After much deliberation, I thought I had set a list that was achievable but would also push my resolve, fitness levels and determination. I chose things that were things I had always secretly fancied doing or things that I wanted to improve on or just prove to myself that I could do anything that I set my mind on and hopefully make it a year to remember! 

All in all, it has been a busy year full of fun, adventure, bruises, permanent scars, aches and pains. I also have suffered with anaemia which caused lack of energy, breathlessness and pain throughout the year, which made some of the challenges a bit harder, especially the physical ones! 

My favourite challenges have been the Big Zipper, the Bike Ride, Chocolate Games and the Kindness Acts. The challenges that involved other people taking part with me have been the most fun and memorable and made me feel closer to my very good friends and also helped me make some new friends. 

The challenges that I disliked the most were the 40 days without chocolate, the 40 hour silence and the Ukelele (as I couldn't do it).  I managed to conquer one phobia (Bridges) but think I might have picked up a new one - 'slides' after my most traumatic moment during a challenge, which was towards the end of the mudrunner event. 

I did not manage to get on a game show but am still on the producers lists for future opportunities, so you never know! I’m pleased to say we made it onto the Challenges website for the World Record attempts and are currently ranked, 1 2 or 3 for the Jelly eating with Chopsticks award ( http://challengers.guinnessworldrecords.com/challenges/274-most-jelly-jello-eaten-in-one-minute-using-chopsticks/attempts/5640and Menna is ranked 2nd for the most amount of cartwheels in a minute! ( http://challengers.guinnessworldrecords.com/challenges/267-most-cartwheels-in-one-minute/attempts/5638 )

I know it's cheesy but I really couldn't have got through this year without the support of my fellow challengers and I owe you all a favour at least! I also have to thank all the people who didn't necessarily do any of the challenges with me but have supported and encouraged me throughout the year! You have all helped me to keep going, especially you Lee Thomas, my best cheerleader! Thank you to all of you who donated and sponsored me, as this was the main reason for me doing all of this and I really appreciate it! 

My family have all had to be very patient with me this year and my husband deserves the highest praise as he had to put up with all my moaning! I have loved how much my children have been involved in all my challenges and it has helped to give them some great life lessons. I have also learnt a lot from them and in particular, not to give up which has earned me the nickname from my daughter of the 'Never Give Up Queen!' Since these challenges, they are always looking for ways to help people and do random acts of kindness, Iolo attempted his first ever 5K run and Menna is determined to break more World records. 

At the end of it all, as I reflect back on the year, I am really glad I did it and I feel proud that I managed to achieve so much and in particular what I set out to do. I have learnt some important life lessons and taught my children a few along the way, I managed to raise over £500 for the RSPCA and am still getting money coming in  ( 
https://www.justgiving.com/Michelle-Reed-perez1/ and hope that I have honoured Kevin in some small way.

I'm not sure what my fortieth year will bring, but I think I will have to set myself a few small challenges throughout the year just to keep myself motivated, but just not 41! Now that my iron count is up and I have tons more energy, my husband and close friends are wondering what I'm going to be like with even more energy! 




No comments:

Post a Comment